You've probably heard of red chile enchilada sauce, or even bought some at your local grocery store before! It's deeply rich and complex flavor makes it pair wonderfully with chicken, beef, and cheese enchiladas.
Now imagine what would happen if you used Chopped Chile Co's Roasted Green Chile as a base to create your own homemade green chile enchilada sauce. This recipe shows you exactly how to make your very own enchilada sauce enhanced with authentic chile from Hatch, New Mexico.
This was one one the very first recipes we tried and fall in love with it over and over again every time we make it.
Serving Yield: 2 - 3 cups
Prep Time: 10 min
Cook Time: 40 min
- 2 tablespoons oil
- 1/2 cup finely chopped onion
- 1-2 garlic cloves, finely minced
- 3 tablespoons flour
- 1/4 teaspoon cumin
- 1/4 teaspoon black pepper
- 1 1/2 cups low-sodium chicken or vegetable broth
- 1 cup Chopped Chile Co Roasted Green Chile (Choose Between Medium or Hot)
- 1/4 teaspoon dried oregano
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1 medium jalapeno, finely diced (optional)
- In a medium saucepan, heat the oil over medium heat until hot. Add the onion and garlic and cover. Cook for 5-6 minutes, stirring once or twice to make sure the garlic and onions aren't sticking (adjust the heat if they are). Cook until the onions are soft but not browned.
- Stir in the flour and cook for 2-3 minutes, stirring constantly. It's ok if the flour clumps around the onions, just keep stirring to let the flour get golden and toasty.
- Gradually add the broth, whisking quickly and constantly to smooth out any lumps.
- Add all the remaining ingredients and bring to a boil. Reduce the heat to low and simmer for 30 minutes, stirring occasionally. The sauce should be silky and thickened - able to coat a spoon but still drip off. Add more broth to thin out if needed.
- Add additional salt to taste, if needed. The sauce can be processed in a blender if you prefer a smoother consistency. It will keep well in the fridge for up to 2 weeks. Otherwise, it can be frozen, up to a month or two if well sealed.