Apple pie is such a classic dish, but what would happen if you added some spice into the mix. Adding a bit of red chile will contrast to the sweetness of the apples while adding to the tangy flavor.
Using Chopped Chile Co. Red Chile, you can level up the classic apple pie with this recipe.
Serving Yield: 1 Whole Pie
Prep Time: 35 min
Cook Time: 45 min
- 5 - 6 Cups Apples Peeled and Sliced
- 1/2 Cup Sugar
- 1 Tbsp Vanilla Extract
- 2 Tbsp Cinnamon
- 1/3 Cup Chopped Chile Co. Red Chile Blended
- 1 Stick of Butter
- 4 Cups Flour
- 2 Sticks Crisco
- 1/2 Tsp Salt
- 2 Tbsp Greek Yogurt
- Cold Water
- To begin on the pie crust, mix flour and salt in a large bowl. Cut in Crisco with a pastry cutter. Add greek yogurt and continue to cut in. Sprinkle cold water until it looks like cornmeal. Form the dough into two balls, wrap in plastic wrap, and chill in the refrigerator.
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees. In a large bowl, mix apples, sugar, spices, and red chile until combined.
- Roll out one ball of dough and place in a pie plate, leaving enough hanging over the edge to combine with the top crust.
- Place apple mixture in the pie plate and add butter to the top.
- Roll out the second dough ball and cover the apples. Pinch the edges and remove excess dough. Cut 1 - 3 vents in the center of the top crust.
- Bake for 35 - 45 minutes or until top crust is golden. Serve with whipped cream or ice cream.